In addition to basic user training when we implement new systems, Creative Computing offers hands-on FileMaker and Lasso training to individuals and groups, online Lasso classes and free Lasso webinars.
Free Webinars On your desk, via WebEx!
We offer free webinars to give back to the Lasso community. All you need to participate is a computer with a broadband connection. The webinars are generally less than one hour long. ADDED BONUS: Attendees of the live presentations receive the demo files.
To get the most out of our webinars previous experience building websites is strongly recommended; previous Lasso experience is helpful but not required.
Webinars are on hiatus until further notice.
|Lasso Arrays 9-29-2009 (info)
Saving Shopping Cart Items in an Array 10-27-2009 (info)
GIT and Coda workflow (info)
Download the 10-21-2009 WebEx recording (1hr 11 min)
itPage, an Open-Source CMS for Lasso (info)
Download the 10-29-2009 WebEx recording (1 hr 4 min)
Our online classes are for those who want a full, hands-on experience and guidance from our trainer. You FTP files to individual directories on a Lasso Web server hosted by Point In Space and the trainer can (with your permission) share your screen and provide one-on-one assistance to help you debug a problem or work through a solution.
What are the prerequisites?
Knowledge of HTML is required. Previous experience building websites strongly recommended. Previous Lasso experience is helpful but not required. You'll also need a text editor and FTP program. Let us know if you're interested in a Lasso class.
Our hands-on classes are aimed at users who are looking to take their skills to the next level, or developers who are looking to sharpen their skills and keep up-to-date with the latest techniques.
- A custom 1-2 day course at your location. You can select topics from our hands-on classes or webinars; or we can customize a curriculum to your specific needs. Contact us to arrange custom Lasso training .
Custom Lasso Training
- A review of problem-solving techniques for Lasso programmers. Attendees will receive a CD containing each of the recipes presented in class. Find out how to attend the Lasso Cookbook.
Lasso Cookbook 1.0: $199, 2 hours
- Query String: Using information passed in the URL
- Using an Inline to Populate a Valuelist
- Detecting & Handling Different Browsers
- Creating, Reading, and Deleting cookies
- Passing Arrays from Page to Page Using Sessions, Using Forms
- Creating HTML Tables with Alternating Row Colors
- Creating HTML Tables with Alternating Column Colors
- User Feedback: "Required Form Fields Missing" Error Messages
- Saving Shopping Cart Items in an Array (instead of in a database)
- Storing Connection and Environment Information in Variables: Examples and Reasons Why It's a Good Idea
- Debugging Tips using the Error Console and Site Admin Utility Errors "Log_Critical"
If time permits, discuss in detail a topic chosen by the class.
- Get the complete courseware, including the book and the CD (electronic download only - $99), from creator Brian Dunning.
Lasso Master Class: $995, 2 days
What are the prerequisites?
Knowledge of HTML is required. Previous experience building websites strongly recommended. Previous Lasso experience is helpful but not required. Let us know if you're interested in the Lasso Master Class.
What if I'm not using FileMaker?
The code we'll be learning applies regardless of the underlying database, so you need not be a FileMaker user to take the class. MySQL users will benefit too.
What do we get?
You'll receive a printed copy of the latest edition of Brian Dunning's Lasso Master Class book, and also a CD-ROM containing all of the examples used in class. The class is as database-agnostic as possible. FileMaker databases are on the CD. You can also download the databases here.We'll build these sites together:
- A LassoFusebox/Corral architecture site
- A site where you have to log in to view some pages
- A site that uses sessions
- A site that caches database results so the database need not be accessed more than once
- A full-featured online commerce web store that combines everything we've learned
- Introduction to Lasso
- What Can I Do When I Leave Here?
- Why the Combination of Lasso and FileMaker/MySQL?
- LDML, Square Brackets, and LassoScript
- Preparing Your FileMaker/MySQL Database
- Building a Guest Book
- Using Includes
- Searching and Editing
- Important LDML Components
- Variable Scope
- Arrays and Maps
- Working with Sessions
- Custom Tags
- Corral/LassoFuseBox Methodology
- Development Resources
- Securing Your Site
- A Practical Login System
- Moving Between Secure and Non-Secure Pages
- Encryption & Decryption
- Building a Complete Complex Site
- Guarding Against Fraudulent Transactions